As with most pieces, Quiet work started as a doodle destined for lino cutting. She was printed while I was experimenting with the use of handmade papers prepared for inkjet printing. As she has such a large empty background – necessarily so – I used a photograph with faint texture and pale colour. (A close-up snap of the Serpentine pavilion which is now at Hauser and Wirth Somerset.)
The print came out well, and after I had scanned it I put it up in my print kitchen. But in order to stitch the piece I thought that more colour was needed, so I played around for a bit before printing the image onto cotton.
The balance of visual weight had to be at the base of the image, so I decided to use a different stitch with the leaves to try to achieve that. Also important is her hair, so more pattern detail was stitched into that. The background, however had to be kept separate and airy, so I used a seed stitch – and I’m still not completely happy with that. But it’s done now, and overall I’m pleased.